DELHI: In what will give a boost to construction activity in NCR, particularly Gurgaon, the Haryana government has decided to allow mixed land use in commercial zones notified in the master plan. The government’s move will allow realtors to build residential properties in commercial complexes.
Officials in the state’s town and country planning department confirmed that the policy for mixed land use has been approved, but with riders on minimum and maximum limit of an area to be allotted for residential complexes.
So far, licences in designated commercial zones in development plans have been granted exclusively for integrated commercial complexes but under the new Mixed Land Use (Commercial/Residential) Licensing Policy, these complexes can now house residential properties.
According to the policy, projects will only be allowed on sector roads or 30-metre wide roads. The minimum area of the project has to be 10 acres. Officials said that commercial licence holders would be allowed to develop up to a maximum of 50% of the area in the Gurgaon-Manesar segment, 30% in Faridabad and 10% in Sonipat, Bahadurgarh and rest of Haryana.
The project site should also have an existing approach road, while it should be approachable from the proposed sector roads in future.
The maximum permitted floor area ratio (FAR) of a project has to be in accordance with the present licensing policy. While the maximum FAR for the residential component cannot exceed one third (33.3%) of the maximum permissible FAR of the project and the remaining two-third (66.7%) must be used for commercial purpose.
The policy doesn’t allow independent residential plots to be carved out in commercial zones.
The FAR has been fixed as applicable in general licensing and the licensee will have to advertise the units to attract buyers.
The opposition has, meanwhile, hit out at the state government, which claims the move is aimed at decongesting the cities.
A senior leader and former bureaucrat has said the government’s decision is aimed to benefit the vested interests, especially those having links with influential political families. “The move is certainly targeted to help those who have got the land in the special economic zones (SEZs) in Haryana, which have failed to come up. The government’s move doesn’t benefit the common man at all,” he said.