MANGALORE: The Karnataka Government is planning a public-private partnership (PPP) project to provide affordable housing to economically weaker sections.
Addressing presspersons in Mangalore on Thursday, M.H. Ambareesh, Karnataka Housing Minister, said the State Cabinet had approved a policy on affordable housing policy. The intention is to provide affordable housing to people from economically weaker sections (EWS) of society and to those in the low-income group (LIG).
Stating that the scheme is in the planning stage, he said it would be the first-of-its kind after implementation.
When asked about the highlights of the proposed plan, Ambareesh said the proposed scheme would be taken up under PPP model.
Under this, the developer will develop the housing project and provide 40 per cent of the houses to people in EWS and LIG categories at affordable rates. The developer can market the remaining 60 per cent of the houses at the market rates.
Plans are there to provide incentives to the developer in the form of TDR (transfer of development rights), he said, adding: “This project should be a win-win situation for all concerned.”
In an informal chat with presspersons after the press meet, J. Ravi Shankar, Commissioner of Karnataka Housing Board (KHB), said the macro-level plan for the project has been approved by the Cabinet. Other micro details will have to be worked out.
There will be separate models for different land holdings. Some developers may develop project on their own land under the government’s affordable housing plan, a few developers may develop the project on other people’s land, and some other developers may develop the project on the government land. The PPP model would be different in each of these cases, he said.
Concrete details on this scheme would be worked out in a few months, he added.