MUMBAI: It seems to be curtains for the legal battle launched by Campa Cola compound residents to save their illegal flats with the Supreme Court on May 5 declining to extend the May 31 deadline to vacate their aprtments for demolition.
The application has been kept pending for hearing in July, said the lawyer for the residents.
The residents have been exploring every legal option in a bid to save their homes. The apex court had given them time till May 31 this year in November 2013, when the residents fought pitched battles with the BMC’s demolition teams. After its February 2013 order to demolish the illegal floors, it had initially set October 2013 as deadline, sympathetically allowing the residents to keep roofs over their heads in the monsoon.
The Supreme Court had ordered the demolition of the irregular floors of Midtown, Esha Ekta Apartments, Shubh Apartments, Patel Apartments, B Y Apartments and Orchid buildings in Worli’s Campa Cola compound in February last year.
The BMC initiated action against the seven highrises constructed between 1981 and 1989 as the builders had put up as many as 35 illegal floors using excess FSI of 24,779.8 square feet. Armed with the SC order, BMC seeks to demolish the illegal floors across the buildings affecting over a hundred residents.
In another outreach, the residents met mayor Sunil Prabhu on Monday, pressing that their proposal to regularize the floors be admitted by the BMC and a middle path be found. They had earlier submitted a draft ordinance to save the illegal floors.
The mayor of the Shiv Sena-BJP ruled BMC deftly put the ball in the Congress-NCP government’s court. “The chief minister should bring an ordinance to help these residents who were taken for a ride by the developers. Even if my heart goes out for them, we are bound by a legal framework,” said Prabhu.