MUMBAI: The BMC on Friday undertook demolition of two open spaces namely at Juhu and Khar. Both the demolitions took place after continuous persistence from local activists in the city.
TOI had recently reported NGO Save Open Spaces (SOS) had written to the authorities with regards to an open plot besides Nakshatra garden they claim having been encroached upon. BMC K west ward on Friday went and demolished the illegal structures on the open plot giving much relief to the activists. The assistant municipal commissioner from the ward Parag Masurkar confirmed this and said, "We had issued the encroachers a notice about a fortnight ago as they had built structures on the open space having a playground reservation. There were a few people who tried causing a nuisance during the demolition." Ashoke Pandit from SOS said that they had been fighting this battle from a very long time to free up this open space and are happy that finally the BMC has acted.
The local MLA from the area Ameet Satam meanwhile said, "I visited site the site after receiving complaints from the locals with Ward officials on December last year and the structure is demolished which is a positive sign by the authorities. I plan to develop a state of the art playground there."
Meanwhile parishioners of St. Vincent De Paul church barged into the H west ward office demanding open space of one of the bungalows of Garden homes the land on which 12 bungalows stand which has been covered be freed up. The BMC local ward officials went and demolished the open space which had been covered on Friday. Daphne Warapen an activists fighting against it said, "Several of the church arguments and submissions have fallen on deaf ears, illegal activities going on since four months on open space outside the bungalow structure."