GURGAON: The district administration has decided to conduct an inquiry into the way in which the MCG demolished some houses in Sheetla Colony in the 900-metre restricted IAF zone earlier this month, leaving several families homeless.
According to a source, the administration feels that this demolition should not have been carried out in winter as it left around seven families homeless.
The probe is likely to cover officials from the MCG and electricity department who issued backdated electricity connections to some of the area residents. "According to the directions of the high court, any building that has come up after December 8, 2011, anywhere within the 900-metre radius of the IAF ammunition depot is considered to be illegal," said a senior district administration official.
But, he said, the owners of many such buildings that came up after this cut-off date possess electricity bills purportedly issued before the date. "These residents have managed to obtain them through fraudulent means with the help of some corrupt officials in the electricity department," the official said.
The MCG officials will also be probed as the administration feels that the officials showed undue urgency in demolishing these houses. "We had prepared a plan to deal with the unauthorized construction in this restricted area. The idea was not to demolish these structures in winter as it would mean people being rendered homeless. We were waiting for an appropriate time to carry out the demolition exercise," he said.
The MCG officials, though, insisted that they did not act in haste. "We are just following specific orders from the high court. The next date of court hearing is February 6 and before that we need to prepare an action taken report in this matter so that the court does not hold us accountable," said an MCG official.